The past few years we have enjoyed playing Super Bowl Squares with our staff. If you don’t know about this game, you can check out the full rules here and get some helpful templates. On our campus, we don’t sell the squares, instead, teachers earn them by completing tasks or being caught implementing a specific initiative. Here’s the basic overview of how we’ve adapted for our staff:
- Set up a 10 x 10 grid – this will give you 100 squares for people to choose from
- Give out tickets that say you’ve earned a square when we see a staff member doing something awesome or implementing a specific initiative we’ve chosen.
- Staff turn in the tickets to sign their name on one of the squares
- Once the squares are full, assign one team along the top and the other along the left side
- Randomly assign numbers 0-9 to each column and again to each row
- The Super Bowl Squares grid is now complete – take a picture and send it out to everyone playing
- During the game, a winner is named at the end of the 1st quarter, 2nd quarter, 3rd quarter, and Final Game score.
- The winner is determined by looking at the last number in each teams’ score and then matching those numbers on the grid and seeing which square intersects those two numbers.
This year, we decided to try something new and model the use of Choice Boards – giving our staff choices in how they could earn their Super Bowl Squares.
As staff tweet out the activities they choose, they will earn the chance to sign their name in one of the squares on the chart outside the principal’s office.
The night of the game, the principal will text out a winner at the end of each quarter who will earn donated prizes such as a Sonic drink from an A-team member, donated gift cards, lunch on the A-team, or whatever great prizes you can think of!
This version of Super Bowl squares is soooo not gambling – it is an opportunity to learn, grow, and win! 🙂 It is also so much fun to be connected to your staff during the game, waiting for that text to see who won which prizes.
If you like the format of this Choice Board, but don’t have a use for this particular game at this time, feel free to grab a copy of this generic template that you can adapt for use with staff or students for any occasion.
We are giving ours out to staff the Monday before the Super Bowl so they have a week to earn squares. Join in the fun and adapt to play with your students or staff, too! 🙂
One thought on “Super Bowl Squares Choice Board”